Searching for meaning in an uncertain world.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Month of Discipline

Surprisingly, even writing for a non-existant audience can have tangible effect on one's life. The mere act of documenting the struggle of trying to implement an ambitious plan can influence the success of such a struggle. Even if the struggle fails, the documentation can reveal a fundamental flaw that the next attempt might address. So, here I declare the next thirty days to be The Month of Discipline.

While I've always internally tried to always improve myself, to dedicate myself to slow incremental progress in learning difficult skills, I've never really tried to objectively measure or track progress. This objectivity might be necessary to progress further in my mental journeys; I've noticed that rigid control of certain vices of mine are currently beyond my self-control. There are things I want to do, consciously, that I cannot will myself to do. I am occasionally a slave to my stomach, to my libido, to my laziness; I no longer am willing to accept this indenture, and so during the month of discipline I will attempt to strictly limit my excesses in all ways.

This simple blog will document my successes and failures as I strive for greater self-control and productivity in all aspects of my life for the next month. My new role model is Benjamin Franklin, who I am beginning to learn, was an amazing man from whom I have much to learn. His life was dedicated to self-improvement, I will write more about him during this month as I hope to draw inspiration from the exemplar he represents.

Sometimes it is best to start a new mental pattern with a corresponding physical change. A simple way to do this is with a radically new hair-cut. Although ultimately unconnected to the mental struggle, each time I look in the mirror I will unavoidably be reminded of the underlying purpose of this physical change and seeds of weakness in my mind might be swept away, replaced by a renewed sense of the immense long-term change in my life this single month may usher in.

No comments:

Post a Comment