Searching for meaning in an uncertain world.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day Fourteen: The Weekend

The weekend has passed, and I've held off on drinking, which is a feat for me; I can't honestly recall the last weekend that I didn't at least have a beer or two. I don't often drink to get drunk, but I'll usually have at least two drinks over the course of a weekend night. My friends usually drink as well; but what is the point? Do I really need these chemicals in order to have a good time?

Well, of course I know that the answer is no, but it is a habit, and drinking does bring on a delightful hazy state. It puts the mind to rest, lowers our inhibitions, and allows us to relax. Beyond that, I've developed a taste for beer. The first time I ever had a beer, I thought it was completely vile. Now, I actually crave the flavor of a good beer.

I've gotten a little bit of ribbing from my friends these past days because I'm getting diet cokes instead of rum and cokes, but it really hasn't been much of an issue. And while I've been tempted to have a drink, the pressure hasn't been overwhelming to the point where I considered throwing in the towel.


Basically, drinking is a crutch. It allows me to do things that I wouldn't have the courage to do otherwise. For example, dancing. Dancing is fun, and I don't mind it; but I'm unlikely to dance unless I've had quite a bit to drink, because I am worried about 'looking cool.' I'm quite aware that I am not a super-awesome dancer, but when I am out with friends, honestly, who cares?

The fact of the matter is though, that I care too much what random strangers think, and what my friends think. I don't take enough chances and risks. I don't live enough. Getting rid of drinking really allows me to focus on these shortcomings, and hopefully will lead me further on my path of self-improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment