Searching for meaning in an uncertain world.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Day Two: Silence

The first day of my month of discipline is finished, and I feel like I kept on track, although towards the end of the day, my resolve to be productive weakened. Today I'll endeavour to be better. A pop-science article I read earlier this month claimed that the way to make a habit stick is to focus not on the temporary minutia, but to look ahead a few months and see where you might be if you are successful. In other words, in order to stay motivated, remember the ultimate goal rather than the tiny steps along the way.

Yesterday I looked at Ben Franklin's first area of self improvement: Temperance; the idea is to maintain control of food and drink (or any temptation), to not over-indulge. After applying Ben's self-improvement tactics for only one day, it is easy to see why they are so effective; by narrowing in on only one aspect, it brings this aspect into focus, so that one is aware when the temptation is likely to strike, and how to combat it.

Today, I look at Ben Franklin's second area of self improvement: Silence. He introduces it like this: 'SILENCE: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.' I think the wisdom in silence is that it teaches you to value words, the vehicle of ideas. In order to be a wise man, one should concern himself with meaningful ideas, and thus meaningful words. But the temptation is to speak banalities, to stroke another's or your own ego, or to engage in pointless gossip.

In my own life, I am often alone when I am working, and am often silent. I've always been an introvert, although over the years I've strived to be more outgoing. While it would be tempting to say that I've mastered 'silence', I know that this is far from the truth. Sometimes I am tempted to gossip, or to reinforce others' ideas about themselves to ingratiate them to myself. My conversations with others should always be stimulating, should lead to learning and contemplation.

The problem is that in this age, stimulating conversation is the exception rather than the rule. Reality TV, celebrity news, and political shows that stress sound bites over debate are the dominant forms of mass communication. Sometimes, it is difficult to engage in a real conversation, but it does make me appreciate those who are willing to engage much more; the openness to an honest exchange of ideas seems to be declining in the general population. People seem to have deeply engrained ideas that they are unwilling to even question or discuss; hopefully I am not the same way.

This principle also applies of course, to writing as well as literal speech. If this blog is merely a masturbatory artifact and brings nothing of consequence to any potential readers, then I have failed. Rather than center solely on my own insignificant life, I hope that my struggles with discipline during this month can inspire others, or at least bring some wisdom to light that isn't immediately obvious. I endeavor to make my writing more salient to those who would read it, who would exchange their valuable time to digest these simple words.

Today, as I reflect on 'silence', I will critically judge my discourse, whether written or spoken, in order to improve it.

1 comment: